PLAY IT.

Sunday, March 12, 2006

MOUNT OPHIR EXPEDITION

GLs: Kenny (bapok coolie), Elissa (:, Veralene and Benny (yayy).
Group members: Andrea, Lilin, Roxanne, Siyi, Russel, Zacharie, Basit, Haris, Shu TIAN.

Day 1:
We started off at RJC. everyone wasn't too excited about it, and we were dragging time most of the time.
We were given the first TIME DEADLINE, and we didn't keep to it. guess it didn't start off as good as we wanted it to be.

we reached the foot of mount ophir in no time. and we didn't know what to expect. little did we know we had HELL right in front of us.

we met our guides and we started walking. the first part was quite all right. easy and the pace was just fine. it was only after the first 15 mins that we felt the PINCH. taking into account that we had VERY HEAVY LOADS on our backs (which included our clothes, our group logistics and whatever that's necessary for an expedition.. blah blah)

during the climb up. it was as if we were about to meet our doom. DOOMSDALE for us.
i have always thought i was fit, fit enough even to the extent of neglecting my torn ligament. yes, and mount ophir proved me wrong. i should always understand my limits and not act macho.

i'm sure i've make the entire group lag behind many times. however, they didn't leave me behind. they encouraged me and helped me up. that was definitely a booster to my group and obviously myself.

checkpoint one... we are not even halfway through.
checkpoint two... mann. can i like die right now?
checkpoint three... my back is killing me. i need to OFF LOAD. help me someone!
and then...
checkpoint FOUR! we have reached base camp!

we cooked our own dinner. and somehow. everytime something bad happens to me when i do outdoor cooking. i cant believe i spilt like one mess tin full or pasta. )):
the last time was setting the entire grass patch on fire.

had a GREAT facilitation session. and went to sleep.



Day 2:
it was rise and shine at 6am in the morning. after breakfast, it was OFF to the summit.
scaling a mountain at 15 years old ain't that easy if you come to think about it. and taking into consideration a torn ligament... it is definitely a great feat.

the KFC (killer for climber, mann. what a name) was definitely one of the most fun obstacles to handle. surprisingly, a lot better than overcoming the first part of the mountain.

again. my team mates cheered me on, and helped me. they watched out for me, and really took care of my well being.

it was at the last stretch when we were on our way to the summit that everyone started chiong-ing. and i think i got really pissed. i shouted, "why is everyone CHIONG-ING?"

WE FINALLY REACHED THE SUMMIT! HURRAY!
I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD HAVE MADE IT UP THERE.
actually, it isn't whether you reach the summit or not that counts, what matters most is the process.
imagine if no one had helped you on the way up to the summit, you were there struggling to get yourself up. pushing yourself when your mind was telling you to give up... let me tell you, even if you were to reach the summit in those circumstances.. it will not beat teamwork and the fruits of its labour.

on the way down. it was a KILLER. i so regretted wishing that we could climb DOWN instead of UP quicker.
there was this time when i had to hang from a rope at a 90 degree cliff. it was SIMPLY TRAUMATISING. when i rejoined the group, all kenny could do was to start laughing?
way down.. even more... i fell a couple of times. thank goodness kenny was in front of me when i fell those two times. cuz i fell in a rather unglam sort of manner.

reached base camp. FINALLY.
we started to get ready to cook.
we cooked our mashed potatoes, pasta, and chocolates with marshmellows.

remember how i said something bad will happen EVERYTIME i do outdoor coooking? I DIDN'T GET AWAY WITH IT THIS TIME.
i cut my finger accidentally. it was probably the stupidest thing that happened the entire trip.
i was cutting an apple and SLICE went my finger. it started bleeding like crap.
i was shouting and vera was rushing me to the first aid area.
thank goodness COLIN was there. if it weren't for him, i'll be DOWN on the floor and still up there in the mountains.
thank you. (:
BTW, COLIN WAS STEALING ALL OF OUR CHOCOLATE AND MARSHMELLOWS. PEARS TOO. i think he just loves group 5.
-so group five started playing with my coagulated blood. it was SO THICK like jelly. gosh. i swear anyone would have thought that it was strawberry jelly with aloe vera bits in it.

okay, so when i saw my blood, it was splattering all over. gosh. i think i would have cried if it happened to others instead of myself. i would have felt the pain for others.

ramu went 'no, i think i should stay here. she needs help.'
he was simply too lazy to even get his bum off that nice comfy stool of his.

enough of blood for a day.

campfire. we were to most enthusiastic group.
and i applaud group 5 for their marvellous effort.

had faciliation and amy told us something that kenny and elissa dont know about.
THE CURIOSITY is KILLING THEM.

end of day two.



Day 3:
end of camp. we broke camp.
had nice pancakes for breakfast. the GLS slept only for an hour too cook pancakes for us. I LOVE YOU GUYS.
and we set off for the foot of the mountain.

on the way down.
benny was there to help me all the way. and i would LOVE to say THANKS.

vera and elissa were great supporters. (:
miss pang and miss ng were NICE friends. not teachers (at that point in time)
and our GLS were SIMPLY GREAT.

when we reached the foot of the mountain. everyone was rushing for the toilets.
the scene reminded me of a famine and everyone rushing for the only food available.

i would want to relive that entire expedition all over again.
i wouldn't mind getting hurt.
the friendships forged during the camp, the way we gelled together so well.
it was simply FABULOUS.

---------------

to end of all this.
the climax of this camp was when we reached the summit and when my finger was BLEEDING LIKE CRAP.

in total, i think kenny laughed at me nearly 40 times in two days.
like i'm so funny. haha?!
yeah right mann.


SO CUTE.
i shall DO FIRST AID.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home